Lake History & Historical Photos
White Sand Lake,
Lac du Flambeau,
- Located in Vilas County
- Surface water area: 1,229
- Shorelength: 11.17 miles
- Maximum depth: 63 feet
- Mean depth: 25 feet
- Bottom type: mostly sand, also gravel and rock
- Water color: clear, high visability
- Fish available in lake: Muskie, Walleye, Large Mouth Bass, Small Mouth Bass, Northern Pike, Panfish –– Crappie, Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, and Yellow Perch.
The last five times White Sand Lake was stocked with muskellunge and walleye fingerlings was 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010. The populations of both species are good and self-sustaining. Cicso, yellow perch, and white sucker are the primary forage species. Pumpkinseed sunfish and bluegills are numerous and average sized.
Fish Stocking Update
According to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Fish Stocking Summary
- 551 Large Muskellunge Fingerlings, Upper Wisconsin River strain, with the average lengith of 12.70 inches were stocked in 2010.
- 25,430 Small Walleeye Fingerlings, Mississippi Headwaters strain, with the average lengith of 1.75 inches were stocked in 2010.
If you would like to submit text or images (digital only), please do so to: Stephanie@whitesandlake.org
News & Events 4.29.18
We are looking for volunteers
You may have noticed a volunteer or paid individual checking boats at our boat landing. These people are with the CBCW (clean boats clean waters) program. These people help perform boat and trailer checks and educate boaters on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species. We have received a grant form the DNR to help pay our U.W.Oshkosh students again this summer. We are responsible to pay back approximately 25% of this grant This can be off set with volunteer hours. We are looking for people to volunteer about 2 hours at a time just a few times in the summer. Training is required to qualify for the grant. Even if trained already the DNR asks that you do a refresher every 2 years, Dates and times are listed below. Thank you Kris LaMarche 7156042602Read More Read ALL
Local News 1.22.19
Advisory team meeting regarding chronic wasting disease in Eau Claire County to be held January 29
DNR Northwest Region - [EDITOR'S ADVISORY: this meeting has been cancelled due to extreme cold temperatures in the forecast. It will be rescheduled in the future.]EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources staff and the Wi...Read More